Oct 31 2012

Vandana Shiva on Prop 37, GMOs, Food Sovereignty, and More

One of the world’s most renowned scientists and environmental activists, Vandana Shiva, is speaking out on behalf of proposition 37. Long a thorn in the side of Monsanto, Dr. Shiva has taken on big bio-tech and agribusiness companies in her home country of India and works with farmers groups all over the world to protect their right to farm using their traditional methods and seeds.

Trained as a physicist, Vandana Shiva is the founder of Navadanya, “a movement which aims to protect nature and people’s rights to knowledge, biodiversity, water and food,” by creating community seed banks among other things. She just concluded a two week long global action called “seed freedom.” She has written nearly two dozen books, including Democratizing Biology: Reinventing Biology from a Feminist, Ecological and Third World Perspective, and Soil Not Oil. Her forthcoming book out next year is entitled Making Peace With the Earth: Beyond Land Wars And Food Wars. Vandana Shiva has won a number of awards including the Sydney Peace Prize and the Right Livlihood Award and was named by the Guardian newspaper as one of their Top 100 most inspiring women.

Uprising host Sonali Kolhatkar spoke with Dr. Shiva in the backyard of a private home in Santa Monica on October 30, 2012.

Watch the interview below in 2 parts:

Bipasha Shom recorded this interview.

17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Vandana Shiva on Prop 37, GMOs, Food Sovereignty, and More”

1. Mark Con 02 Nov 2012 at 11:51 pm

It is important that the world hear this message and understand what this woman has to say.

2. Sandra Con 03 Nov 2012 at 8:57 am

Wow!!! wonderful insights from a top scientific leader…lets all plant the seed of “GNH” Gross National Happiness … as in the country of Bhutan!!! :-)

3. Max Dashuon 03 Nov 2012 at 12:00 pm

Great, great interview. Thanks for airing it and for your profound questions.

4. Rosinha de Maracajauon 04 Nov 2012 at 6:53 am

Very important interview of Dr.Vandana Shiva! Glad came out and its available! I am from Brazil and I want to get involved! Agirculture means a lot to us and the agrobusiness is taking over squeezing and killing the last source of our precious indigenous people!

5. Antonio Totevon 04 Nov 2012 at 4:32 pm

This woman was involvedand helped my decision of buying some land and starting my own bio prodution ( in Bulgaria). First stage of the project yet, but it happens slowly :-) I feel like I just woke up for reality.
    Thank you Vandana Shiva, humanity needs more people like you!!!

6. Vivian Parkeron 05 Nov 2012 at 10:24 am

Thank you so very, very much, to Vandana Shiva and to Sonali Kolhatkar for this interview. Vandana Shiva leads the way. I am so thankful for her existence and to the energy of Mother India that shines like a beacon of hope in the world.

7. Jessicaon 06 Nov 2012 at 3:05 pm

Such an eyeopener I had to share!!!

8. 250 juegos frivon 17 Jun 2014 at 10:47 pm

Hola estoy encantada de visitar vuestra página me parece super buena.

Yo soy una universitaria que me encanta el desarrollo web, el apunte y sobre
    todo la creación de aplicaciones de juegos para móviles.

Me gusta mucho vuestra página me parece super interesante.

Os felicito por vuestra web, soy desde ahora una admiradora vuestra.

Hola me ha gustado mucho tu articulo
    Es impresionante, buena aviso la que he encontrado. Muchos besitos.

Por fin alguno que me lo ha explicado para que yo lo
    puede comprender. Estoy asaz contenta.
    Grande, que contenta estoy, es lo mas. Gracias.

9. ??????????on 12 Jul 2014 at 11:01 pm

Currently it sounds like Movable Type is the top blogging
    platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that
    what you’re using on your blog?

10. ???????on 12 Jul 2014 at 11:23 pm

You are so awesome! I do not believe I’ve truly read something like that before.
    So good to find another person with genuine thoughts
    on this topic. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this
    up. This site is something that is needed on the web, someone
    with a little originality!

11. ?????????on 13 Jul 2014 at 12:57 am

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow,
    just wanted to say excellent blog!

12. ?????????????on 13 Jul 2014 at 6:07 am

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or
    maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My website goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel
    we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!

13. I relish, result in I found just what I was taking a look for.
    You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you
    man. Have a great day. Bye

14. ???????????on 13 Jul 2014 at 10:45 pm

you are in point of fact a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is incredible.
    It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a excellent task on this topic!

15. business loanson 14 Jul 2014 at 5:57 am

Rates went down from the time he bought it,
    and it has appreciated to $16 Million in the same time, and
    his commercial loan balance is now $5. This new type of laon, called credit card receivable funding, is
    a lower cost alternative for bad credit small business loans.
    In any other negotiation setting the business owner would be strong,
    committed, and resilient in their efforts, but when their very existence as a business is on the
    line, they sometimes become weak and short sighted.

16. ????????????on 14 Jul 2014 at 10:41 am

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work
    due to no back up. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?

17. game traineron 14 Jul 2014 at 12:14 pm

Trying to make your ex-spouse jealous is just one of
    the worst things you can do if you would like to return with your ex-spouse, because all it
    is visiting do is show him that you have moved
    on which he must do the same. Instead, you desire
    him to think that he was the best point in your life, and that nobody compares to just what
    he had to provide you. By boosting his self-confidence without appearing needy, he will certainly quickly understand the two of you were excellent together despite the little battle or differences.
    Prevent getting upset if he is viewing somebody else, considering that you will not be able to stop it no issue
    just what you try.